The K&N 69-9504TTK Typhoon air intake system is a free-flowing, mandrel-bent aluminum tube air induction system. The restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing are replaced by the K&N Typhoon air intake which is designed to dramatically reduce air flow restriction as it smoothes and straightens air flow. This allows your engine to inhale a larger amount of air than the factory air intake. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine’s RPM range.
The 69-9504TTK air intake comes with a K&N XStream Top air filter designed for higher air flow and durability. A heat shield installs into the previous air box space that directs air through an intake tube into the engine’s throttle body for a guaranteed power gain. The intake tube has an attractive textured black finish that's made to last and accommodates the factory mass air sensor and air injection hose (on vehicles equipped with an air injection system). The XStream Top air filter can be used for up to 100,000 miles before servicing is needed depending on driving conditions.
This air intake is relatively easy to install usually in 90 minutes or less using existing factory mounting points requiring commonly available tools to do the job.
- Estimated Horsepower Gain: 9.19 HP @ 4853 RPM
- Air Filter Color: Red
- Air Filter Height: 6.5 in (165 mm)
- Air Filter Large End Diameter 6 in (152 mm)
- Air Filter Material Cotton Gauze
- Air Filter Outlet Shape Round
- Clamp Material Stainless Steel
- Clamp Style Regular
- Clamps Included 6
- Couplers Included 3
- Intake Pipe Color / Finish Textured Black
- Intake Pipe Material Aluminum
- Replacement Filter RX-4730XD
- CARB EO Number: D-269-43
Fits Both SAI and Non-SAI models - Comes with the proper hardware for both.
- Guaranteed to increase horsepower
- Designed to improve throttle response and engine sound
- Low restriction aluminum tube
- Easy to install, usually in 90 minutes or less
- Lasts up to 100,000 miles before service is required (depending on driving conditions)
- Replaces stock air intake system
- Washable and reusable lifetime air filter
- K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty
K&N 10 Year/Million Mile Limited Warranty
Does this fit my vehicle?
|Start Year||End Year||Make||Model||Submodel||Cyl||Lit||Fuel||FuelDel||ASP||EngDesg||Notes|
|L4||2.0||GAS||FI||T||ALL||Does not fit late 2013 Gen3 engines.|
Good but would't buy it again
2013 GTI (MK6):
This is a good cold air intake. I could immediately feel the difference in throttle response and the turbo notes coming from the filter are great! I didn't notice any increase in horse power but if it did, it is very minimal probably around 1-4 (K&N are claiming 9.19 gains).
- Throttle response
- Turbo notes
- Tubes and hoses are of nice quality
Cons (2 Star Ding):
- Missing 2 bolts and had to source them locally
- Excessive end user assembly for the price. 90% of this should have been preassembled (grommets, filter bracket, side mounting bracket and heat seal tubing)
- Cost vs Performance. I suspect other cheaper options are comparable.
- Instructions should be available in PDF with color photos and written more effectively
So So (IMO):
- Bands seem a bit small and should 1/4" larger. It's a super tight fit over the tubing.
- Instructions printed reverse top/bottom but stapled in corner which was annoying since you have to reference the front page during assembly.
- Not sold on the HP increase as the example Dyno chart was from a different vehicle and didn't notice anything more on 91+ octane
- Missing areas of paint on the inside where they placed it on a stand
Overall, I fell like the kit is overprice and should be at the $250-$275 range. I would go with a different brand if I had to do it again.
Was looking at the other options like AEM but after reading up on the forums decided to go with K&N. Built real well and looks good in my engine bay.